Do you wish to remove metadata from photo files? Are you seeking for manual methods to accomplish this? If so, this post is for you. We’ve provided both manual and automatic methods for removing information from picture files. As a consequence, continue reading.
The majority of digital cameras record some metadata (often referred to as EXIF data) when you snap a photo. Depending on the device, information could contain current location, date, time, device model and producer, and settings used to take the photograph. The owner and subjects of the image may experience privacy difficulties if you share the image online in its current state, giving hackers complete access to the data.
In this piece, we explain more about the sorts of metadata connected with photographs and why you can delete this information. We even provide step-by-step directions for stripping away metadata from pictures on a variety of gadgets and describe how you can go around shifting settings so that no destination information is kept in the first place.
We’ve basically outlined many ways for removing information from photos. One of them is the automatic Metadata Erasure Tool, which allows you to erase metadata in few simple stages. All of the others are manual. You may go over all of the ways and choose the one that best matches your needs.
What Really is EXIF Metadata and its Associated Risks?
Most digitally captured images have some metadata attached to them. This data is data is kept in a format decided to name EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format) (Exchangeable Image File Format). The information attached to an image will vary depending on the tool used to capture it and any applications that may have been used to change or edit it. A few information you can anticipate to see would include:
- Geographical data represented by the format of GPS coordinates
- The picture’s capture time frame and dates
- Model of the device and maker of the gadget on which photo is created
- Parameters like as size, shutter, and ISO speed
- Name and versions of editing software used
While much of this data is quite innocuous, some of it may pose privacy concerns. For example, if you routinely upload photographs on social media, location, date, and time information might assist snoopers in determining where you are on a given day or at a certain moment.
Stalkers might detect your locations in real-time and government agencies could track your exact position. One well-known example is John McAfee (creator of McAfee antivirus), who was apprehended by police after an unscrubbed photograph of him was uploaded online.
How to Remove Metadata from Photo ?
We’ll show you how to remove information from images on the most prevalent operating systems, including Windows and MacOS, in this section. Please keep in mind that the processes may differ based on your device type and operating system version.
How to Remove Image Metadata without Using an App on Windows
You may delete EXIF metadata from a single or several picture files in Windows. The steps are as follows:
- Go to the folder containing the photographs you wish to modify.
- Choose the file (or files) from which you want to remove metadata.
- Choose Properties, then Details from the context menu.
- Delete Properties and Personal Information should be selected.
- Click Make a duplicate with all available attributes deleted.
- That’s all there is to it.
When we removed the metadata properties from the original file, we saw that the generated date remained, but the other option replaced the created date with today’s date. If you want to ensure that the generated date is removed, make a copy of the file and then delete the original.
You May Also find the Steps to Convert MBOX Files to PDF Format
How to Get Rid of Image Metadata on a Mac
Things are a little more complicated for Mac users. You can read EXIF data, but the only thing you can erase is location data. You’ll need to use a third-party software like PCDOTS Metadata Erasure Tool to eliminate the remaining Meta.
To delete location data from a picture, open it in Preview, go to Tools > Show Inspector, and then click the information I tab. If there is no GPS box here, your image has no linked location data. Choose the GPS tab and then click Delete Location Data.
Do you want to get rid of more than simply the location? We’ll demonstrate how to use PCDOTS software.
A Most Amazing Way to Remove Metadata from Image Files
PCDOTS Metadata Erasure Tool is one of the most amazing and highly beneficial tools to remove metadata from image files. It a Windows based tool that you may run on any of the old or newer version of the operating system. It is also an all-in-one tool that may remove metadata from wide range of image file format.
With the help of the tool, you may remove metadata from JPEG files, JPG files, TIFF files and more. It is an efficient application that enables you to finish the task in a few and easy steps. We have discussed all those steps below that you must follow in order to remove metadata from photo. So check them out.
Here’s How to Use PCDOTS MetaRaser to Delete the Metadata Information.
- First of all; you must download the photo metadata erasure tool on your Windows compatible device. After downloading the tool, complete its setup. Once setup is complete launch it.
- After running the tool; navigate to Open tab and choose Image Files option. Select your preferred file format like JPG, or JPEG. Then select Choose files or choose folder option.
- Start browsing photo files and get them all into the tool. Once all the files are visible into the tool, you may view them as well
- Now, you must click the Action button. Then, select Clear Metadata option to remove metadata from photo files.
- Click on the browse button to select the preferred location to save the output files. Finally click the save button to delete metadata from image.
So, these are all the steps, which you must go through in order to sue the suggested software. Now, if you want to learn more about it, check its traits below.
Learn Additional Qualities of the Photo Metadata Erasure Software
- A Multi-Purpose Tool: It is a program that can handle a variety of file types. In addition to photo files like JPG and TIFF, the app can delete metadata from audio and videos files. It may also delete metadata from DOTM files, ODT files, DOCX files, Word docs, and other file formats.
- It is Entirely Free to Use: The utility is originally available for free. After downloading the program, you will be offered a demo version. You can delete information from a limited number of picture files with the trial edition. You can purchase the license key after you’re pleased.
- Ease of Use: The software’s most simple graphical interface allows users to remove metadata from photo files. You must not have to have any technical understanding to utilize the app. Even a first time user can easily use the tool.
- Batch Wiping Capabilities: The ap can delete metadata properties from an unlimited number of picture files in a single cycle. You can erase all of the Meta information for any number of files and folders at once.
- Permanent Deletion: Metadata retrieved from photo files using the program is permanently erased and cannot be restored. No one will be able to recover the metadata again.
- Self-sufficient: It is self-contained and does not require you to obtain extra settings to remove information from photo files. You only need the suggested application and nothing else.
- OS Compatibility: This photo metadata removal software is compatible with any device that runs Windows. The utility works with Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, and previous versions.
We’ve given you many options to remove metadata from photo. One of them is mechanized, while the others are manual. The manual procedures need technical expertise, but the automated software does not. You may go over all of the ways above and choose the one that works best for you.